Saturday, April 18, 2009

smoking aces

This was way back. I'd say like 10 years back. It was summer(or winter or spring, doesn't really matter). It was late in the afternoon (Maybe six odd, getting a tad dark, a cool breeze, doesn't really matter). Maybe it was the weather.
That cool tropical breeze that never fails to relax you. The kind of evening you never won't to forget (doesn't really matter). We were a bunch of no nonsense kids, doing our thing. Our mothers were enjoying their evening walk. We were enjoying our evening talk:). Okay here's the thing.
That evening was probably the most memorable evening of my priceless life till date. Memorable for only one reason. But highly uneventful. For on that day, i decided that i was never going to smoke ever. There was absolutely nothing that convinced me though. Me friend and me were just chatting away, we were munching on those chocolate rolls that are shaped like cigars.
So then He asks me, Are you going to smoke cigarettes in the future? All I said was no. I made a mental note of this. So very insignificant. Yet so very strong. It was something to do with the wind i'm dead sure. The calming effect it had on me. The only factor of the evening perhaps. I didn't know back then, that i would be so loyal to my otherwise doomed mind. Ten years on, and i haven't even been tempted to puff even once...Ten years from now, i'm sure that doomed cigarette will still elude me. Smoking is injurious to health. Its written on the frigging box. Yet people don't understand. It was the wind, i'm sure it was. The kind of tropical wind that restores a sense of nonchalance.

4 comments:

Akansha Agrawal said...

I took this decision too... though it wasn't the wind... or maybe it was, not the tropical calming breeze, it was the smoky wind filling my nostrils...

The way you've written it is beautiful, it has made me go... speechless...

kish said...

Speechless is a bit too far fetched:)
Thank you jonny boy
p.s- he's the friend in question here

Rohith Parakhi said...

hey nice one as always....or as usual:)

nickshady said...

lol.... :)....

kish... i guess u know exactly why i'm lol-ing here.....