Monday, June 21, 2010

The chennai fiasco

In my last post, I'd said that I would be leaving for Chennai with quite a heavy heart. But all that changed the night before I was to leave, with the arrival of an e-mail. IBM had something on the lines of- 'Your request for an alternate date has been accepted, Please await confirmation in this regard blah blah..'
I was all WTF. I mean, you're all ready and mentally prepared to leave for Chennai, but then this arrives, and then you say to yourself- Don't get overly excited 'cause nothing is certain in the corporate world, so be ready for everything!
The next day, I payed a visit to a temple, ate breakfast with Family at a nearby restaurent and headed back home. Later in the day, I decided to have a good milkshake at college for one last time befor leaving:)
A while later, I got a call from me friend and he told me that our joining dates have been postponed. Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! Bloody hell. Now i was pissed. First they tell me to come to Chennai and then they say Please come on july 22nd.
So when the HR called me, She first asked me whether I was willing to start on july 22nd. The word going around was that Kolkata was the job location for guys who got that date. I said no. Of course, I knew I was missing out on a bucketful of off-campus opportunities, But at this point, I couldn't care less!
She then asked me if I could report to Chennai itself. I told her that I'd already cancelled my tickets:P. Finally she said I could report to Bangalore. I had to await a confirmation mail that night, which didn't arrive till next afternoon!
As soon as i got ze mail, I hopped onto the Shatabdi, sat my ass down comfortable on the chair, and plugged on my headphones.
I've mentioned many times before about how music is my 'holding ground' in sad/frustrating situations. Even though It was Bangalore, only a 3 hr bus drive away from home, I was really dis-heartened. Only then did I realise that Life wouldn't be the same again. Friends I once knew would scatter all over the planet. They'd all make money, 'garner' reaponisibilities, and soon would just be part of an occasional phone call or an e-mail. C'est la vie, I guess!

P.S- More later on my first week at work and how hard Life is.

6 comments:

Insignia said...

Awesome!! Welcome to the corporate world :-D

Shravan Koti said...

Hey u forgot to mention IBM ISL(USA),... n Kolkota part,...
:D
Anyways looking forward to ur next blog :)

VikWiz said...

I feel for you brother! You've started a new life. But I guess the old one is not too far off. Just a Tachyon away! All the best to you bro! Have a blast there! Carpe Diem!

AJEYA RAO said...

Cool! Thhought you would leave without saying good bye. :-) So are you in Bangalore now?

kish said...

@Insignia
Thanks:) It's not bad. It's not good either.

@shravan
hehe, mr bomman has done that.

@vikviz
Thank you, mr dude.

@ajeya
yup. Work in Koramangala for now. The traffic is bad:p

Madhusoodan said...

See u in bangalore!