Saturday, May 7, 2011

Monday- Like every other day?

Time for my next post I guess. I always have an urge to write something but somehow, I don't. It's been like this for a while now.Maybe so, because All I feel like writing about is how the montony is just so thick.
Anyway, Last Monday, I got off work relatively early, Headed home around 6. Sat my ass on the couch,switched on the tv, and thought to myself-Wait, this isn't right! I wondered for a while what I'd do for the duration of the evening; This was new to me.My job requires me to stay way past 8 on most days, where in I'd quietly slide home, tired and sleepy, and quickly slide into bed.
I decided to go take a walk outside (This isn't unfamiliar territory, One would think). I started walking down Sampige road towards Mantri mall.A cool breeze was blowing across the Road. The clouds were darkening, and trees swaying: Left to Right, as if they were willing to accept whatever the sky threw at them.The hawkers by the side of the road were trying to gather their belongings and move to safety. Then word came around like a domino effect from behind me that Cops were passing by.One by one, hawkers packed off and disappeared. A few were still trying to make a quick buck but they sauntered off as well. I crossed the road with a strange sense of elation. Maybe it was the smell of rain and what comes with it, Or the sight of vibrant colours from the Green of the swaying trees, the yellow of Blossoming flowers and the Red of Car tail-lights. There was this old rustic second hand bookstore that caught my attention; I quickly slid in before the
downpour got the better of me. From Sci-Fi to Romance, there were quite a few novels spread out on tiny racks. Reading spree that I was on (Two novels in the last 5 months :P), I managed to "bargain" with the Store Rep and picked up a John Irving for 120 bucks. As I was playing with it, taking in the overwhelming Scent only a very old-ass book can give you, a tiny little cockroach dropped to the floor and scrambled away. I couldn't help but smile to myself. Quite plausibly, this book might have never been removed from it's resting place. MAYBE it was passed on from another bookstore, or a previous owner. It really is gratifying when you pay for something you're surely going to keep.
I wouldn't quite say this is breaking the monotony; This was more like a chain of small micro-events lined up together and blending in perfectly, each doing it's bit to help.
I realised that it is very important to cherish the small things Life throws at you. Often, We are so caught up in the motions of everyday life that we forget that It does give us something, as long as we are willing to take it.
As I waited for the elevator when I was back home, for the first time ever, I banged my head against the door!!!

3 comments:

Sh@s said...

Enjoyed reading this post of yours. It had a poetic effect. Congo to you for writing about simple daily stuff in such an interesting way. i wish even I could write like this.
Even I love picking books from second-hand shops. Nothing can beat the pleasure or joy of feeling old-yellowish pages and its smell. Happy reading to you. Do write about the book that you picked up.

kish said...

@ Shas:
Thanks a lot. You are most kind:)
I will review that book. In fact, there is a bunch of books i'd like to review. Should make time and write away!

Jaideep Singh said...

a really good read...! pretty much how one should look at the Corp life.
The head bang sent the message home. :D