Friday, September 18, 2009

18th september

Our College Entrance
Well, let me start by mentioning the significance of this day. It was on this very day, exactly three years ago, when i first stepped foot into college. Engineering College that is.

We had what our Faculty called an 'Orientation' program, which actually was pretty much an excuse for us to waste time, as well as for our parents to sit and listen. So I took liberty to take a stroll and take in the sights and sounds. I still remember how the seniors were looking down on us with some smugness, as if to say Be Aware, or we'll scare:)

So basically I was told to keep a low profile, which i easily managed to do. The next day, we had Maths class at 8:30. I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know anyone that well either. We were made to introduce ourselves, say a few words, why we took engineering, the works! I don't remember much, but what i do remember is i managed not to get ragged the first week.

I used to attend labs and classes diligently, Sit silently in class and actually listen!. I was quite a nerd the first year...

Three years on, A lot has changed. I now flaunt the smugness that my seniors flaunted a few years ago. My ego has gone sky high( The 'we are the seniors' ego, i mean:P). I still do attend classes, but listening to pointless lectures is a farce. Bunking labs is no more a sin. Then, I used to reach class five minutes beforehand. Now, I've learnt that it's okay to leave home fifteen minutes past the time when i actually have to be in class:)
So, perspectives have changed. We've gained maturity. Learnt from mistakes. Learnt how to make chits, and copy from "micro xerox". We've learnt how not to fuck around in class. We've learnt how to write apology letters, and maskafy teachers. We weigh our options, and use the one most mitigating to our "cause".
Some things have been the same. The same rains still lash our campus, as the result of which we still take shelter in the 'Gaadi Stand'. The 'Gaadi Stand' fellow still charges Rs 2/- per day. The chocolate milkshake in Yampa(our milk parlour) still are so yummy!! And our 'machas' still go to 'downs' to smoke up. The clouds still meander about, playing hide and seek with us, taunting us like we thought our seniors did.Every year, Old chicks leave, and junior chicks come.
I guess what i'm trying to say is, although a lot as changed since 18th September 2006, Our hearts are still rooted to this place.

A place that has always given me something, even though, at times, i have taken nothing from it. I'm actually scared of letting go in a year's time. And that's the reason i wrote this in the first place.
P:S- I think i can find solace in the fact that I'll be seeing that Entrance board for another year:). but then what?

5 comments:

Nakul Ganesh S said...

You're still the same ol nerd.
Good post

Insignia said...

When you leave your college, you will carry with you all these sweet memories with you throughout.

Beautifully written, especially these lines "A place that has always given me something, even though, at times, i have taken nothing from it"

Too good.

kish said...

@ Daddy
Bull-friggin-shit!
@insignia
Thank you:) I'm going to have a hard time letting go!

VikWiz said...

Another typical Kishore post. As interesting a read as ever.

anantha said...

good blog man.. i dont know how i'm gonna face that time when i leav the college.. its too sad a picture to dream:(:(:(.. hope this year passes slower than normal:):)