Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Oblivion

It was a little after five; I entered the coffee house only to find a significant number of people already standing in queue for takeout. It was almost closing time. Damn. I was already running late on a few errands. I figured i could get my way easy by chatting up the cute cashier guy. But as i started moving forward, a miserly old man told me to get back in line.
Not another wise-ass I thought, not in the least paying heed to his age or his 'principles'.
So there i was, already late, and now impatient. I noticed how a few heads were turned in my direction, and i must say i wasn't surprised.

The gaze of one particular man caught my attention. There he was, sitting cross-legged at a table a few feet away from me. I could sense his eyes scanning my rocking body. Only, i couldn't see his eyes. It was safely hidden behind a set of shades. Maybe to filter the haze from the sun, i thought.
I knew he was constantly looking, taking in the sights. But i didn't have the pleasure of knowing, for sure, that he was guilty of it. My self imposed smugness was slowly building. And why not.
I was wearing a knee length skirt, the hem of which kept flickering upwards whenever the door to the coffee house opened, and a chilling breeze floated across. Anyone would sight this "sight".I didn't mind this at all.
I had gorgeous skin; olive and silky to the touch. Guys who perpetually ogle me, tell me that i remind them of Ana Ivanovic. No bullshit. My ego was sky high.
The yellow pull-over was not doing a good job of concealing the skin above my waist. And i must say, i tried very hard to not do any shielding.
Obviously, this accentuated the lust and longing i could so easily see in the eyes around me.
This was my zone now. Suddenly, time seemed so relative.

My thought-ego process was abruptly halted. A little girl in front of me turned back and asked the man in the shades: ' Dad, do you want a cup-cake?'
He nodded inattentively.His gaze was still fixated on me.
I thought to myself: ' A married man? With a kid! Does he not love his life? Maybe his sex life is a failure. I couldn't picture him to be a happy family man. The lust i thought i 'sensed', gave it all away. Ah! What did i care!!'
I paid for my take-out, gave the man another look, only to get one back. I walked out onto the street.
As the sun began its journey to set on the horizon, my complacency and ego started to rise again.

P:S- The man in the shades gathered his walking stick, and called out to his daughter. Together, they meandered out onto the open road. He was blind.
The woman's ego was not a high rise building. It merely was a stack of dominos:)

10 comments:

anxietygirl said...

niceeeeee :) hehe!!!

Insignia said...

Fantastic!!!

Its not the man who is blind but the lady whose ego has blindfolded her. Very very nice one...:-)

kish said...

@ both
Thanks a lot:) Will write more female ego stuff:P

blog.sahil.me said...

Nice! :)

Although, the man's blindness was somehow predictable :/

kish said...

@ sahil
On some level, i intended it to be that way. Maybe to highlight the extent of the "hot" girls smugness:)

p;s- up the irons!

blog.sahil.me said...

Point. It does sound like that.

\m/!

HaRy!! said...

the man's blindness...eh!? :)...nice

kish said...

Thank you hary:P

VikWiz said...

Nice read! Why the hell did you write the blog in first person, I didnt get it! Since when did you start delving into the Female Psyche?

kish said...

Dude, I told you in Class:)
I'm pretty good with female psyche, i figure.